Welcome to the Herman Volunteer Fire Company

Since 1949 Herman Volunteer Fire Company has been serving the residents of Herman and the surrounding communities in Butler County, PA. Our organization is comprised 100% of volunteers, and we are committed to providing first-class emergency response and community support to our residents and business owners.

Herman VFC is funded primarily through various fundraising efforts, such as our monthly raffle. Our funding directly supports the operations, equipment, and training of the organization. If you are interested in joining us in our mission, please consider volunteering.

READ MORE ABOUT OUR HISTORY HERE

rafflesCTA

♦ ON-LINE RAFFLE SALES ARE GROWING, WHICH MEANS A BIGGER PRIZE FOR THE MONTHLY WINNER!!!

DID YOU KNOW???

To purchase a 50/50 monthly raffle ticket, you must be 18 years of age or older.

For a $1.00 you get a chance to win the monthly 50/50 as the first prize, and a second chance a $500.00

 MUST be 21 years of age or older to enter the night of the raffle.

What you can get if you show up the night of the raffle without buying a $1.00 Ticket?

A chance to purchase a monthly 50/50 raffle ticket to be drawn that night.

FREE food

FREE beverages

A chance at several cash prizes!!!

From October 2016 to October 2017
These statistics don’t include Vehicle Accidents, Medical Emergencies, Flooded Basements, Power Lines , Hazardous Material Incidents, or any other emergencies that we are Certified and Professionally trained to handle.
24 structure fires.
3 Carbon Monoxide alarms
8 Gas odor alarms
0 chimney fires
Don’t become the person who has the Fire Company come to your home because you felt that everything is fine. Winter is knocking on the door. Please have your furnace and/or chimney inspected and serviced.
According to the United States Fire Administration, more than one-fifth of residential fires are related to the use of supplemental room heaters – wood- and coal-burning stoves, kerosene heaters, gas space heaters and electric heaters – so, before you put logs in the fireplace or plug in the electric heater, take some precautions. And never use an oven or stove to help heat your home.
Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February. Some simple steps can prevent most heating-related fires from happening.
• Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
• Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
• Never use your oven to heat your home.
• Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
• Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
• Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
• Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
• Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
• Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
Based on 2009-2013 annual averages:
• Space heaters, whether portable or stationary, accounted for two of every five (40%) of home heating fires and four out of five (84%) of home heating fire deaths.
• The leading factor contributing to home heating fires (30%) was failure to clean, principally creosote from solid-fueled heating equipment, primarily chimneys.
• Placing things that can burn too close to heating equipment or placing heating equipment too close to things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding, was the leading factor contributing to ignition in fatal home heating fires and accounted for more than half (56%) of home heating fire deaths.
• Nearly half (49%) of all home heating fires occurred in December, January and February.
Furnaces: Your furnace should be checked regularly by a professional. The flame should burn a bright, steady blue and should never come outside of the furnace. If you hear or smell natural gas leaking from your furnace lines, evacuate the house immediately. Do NOT turn your lights on or off. Do NOT call from your home telephone land line or from your cell phone while still in your home . Once you are a safe distance away from the odor, call 9-1-1 or your gas company.
Fireplaces: Fireplace chimneys regularly build up creosote that can ignite. Chimneys need to be cleaned out frequently and inspected for cracks and obstructions. Never burn trash, paper, or green wood in your fireplace because these are difficult to control and cause heavy creosote buildup. And use a fireplace screen that is both big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks and heavy enough to stop rolling logs. Have a certified company clean and inspect your fireplace yearly.
Wood Stoves: Inspect and clean your stovepipe and chimney on a regular basis and check monthly for damage or obstructions. Be sure to keep combustible objects away from the stove. Be sure to check with your local fire department and check local codes before having your stove installed.
Space Heaters: Only use heaters with the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) safety listing. Read and follow all instructions in the owner’s manual. The heater should be placed on the floor, away from combustible materials, and out of high-traffic areas. Never put anything on top of your space heater. Never leave the heater unattended or with unsupervised children. Electric heaters should be unplugged if you go to bed or leave the house. Kerosene heaters should be turned off if you go to bed or leave the house. And use only crystal clear K-1 kerosene in your kerosene heater – never gasoline or camp stove fuel.
Carbon Monoxide: Along with fire, another potential danger of home heating is carbon monoxide poisoning. If you have any appliances or equipment that burn fuel such as propane or natural gas, fuel oil, kerosene, wood, coal, pellets, etc., you should install a carbon monoxide detector.
Smoke Detectors: Smoke detectors save lives. Install a smoke alarm outside each sleeping area and on each additional level of your home. Use the test button to check each smoke alarm once a month. Keep new batteries on hand. When necessary, replace batteries immediately. Replace all batteries at least once a year.
Fire Extinguishers: Consider having one or more working fire extinguishers in your home. Look at the fire extinguisher to ensure it is properly charged. Use the gauge or test button to check proper pressure. If the unit is low on pressure, damaged, or corroded, have it professionally serviced. Only adults should handle and use extinguishers.
Electrical Outlets: Don’t overload your outlets. Use surge protectors if multiple outlets are needed and do not insert more than two plugs into one outlet. Never force a three-pronged plug into a two-pronged outlet or extension cord.

We are moving the date of the beer fest to a later date. We are experiencing a short amount of vendors . We are hoping to pull more in to get a better variety of craft beers and wine.
Sorry for any inconvenience , we are very appreciative in the large amount of people sparking interest in coming out.
Please keep checking back for a date and time….